Salomons Estate's Head Chef, Dan Yardley, and Pastry Chef, Jackie Osbourne, at Salomons Estate give us their secret recipe on how to make the perfect brownies. This is the ultimate treat to cook for your friends and family.
While creating an Autumn Afternoon Tea menu, Jackie took the classic Salmons Estate chocolate brownie and chocolate brandy mousse from the estate’s wedding menu and combined them to make Mirror Glazed Chocolate Mousse Brownie. Using two tried and tested recipes to create a new element to Afternoon Tea, Jackie wanted to push herself and try something new, so over the last few weeks she has been practising and perfecting the mirror glaze finish.
Chocolate Mousse Ingredients (serves 4 – 6 depending on desired thickness)
150g of dark chocolate
A pinch of salt
4 egg whites
50g of caster sugar
150ml double cream
1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Put the dark chocolate, sugar and cocoa into a bowl and melt over a bain marie (pan of water brought to a simmer). Once melted take off the heat.
- Whip the double cream and fold it into the melted dark chocolate mix.
- Add the salt to the egg whites and whisk until stiff to peak.
- Add the egg white to the rest of the mix and then fold in the brandy.
Chocolate Brownie Ingredients
88g of unsalted butter
108g of dark chocolate
12g of cocoa powder
82g of caster sugar
24g of self-raising flour
2g of baking powder
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter over a bain marie.
- While the chocolate and butter are melting whisk the eggs and sugar together until sabayon (ribbon stage). Pull the whisk out of the mix and while the mix is running of the whisk, create a figure of 8 motion around the bowl. The mix should settle on top of the mix, creating a ribbon.
- Pour the melted chocolate and butter into the egg mix and fold it through the mix, then sieve the remaining dry ingredients into the mix and fold through.
- Bake at 160 degrees celsius for approximately 25 minutes.
Mirror Glaze Ingredients
0.4 oz of powdered gelatine
4.5oz of water
5 ¼ oz granulated sugar
3.5oz of sweetened condensed milk
6oz white chocolate
Food colouring (your choice)
- Whisk together gelatine and 1oz of water then set aside.
- Combine the remaining water with the sugar and condensed milk in a sauce pan over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to the boil.
- Once the mixture has come to the boil remove from the heat and add the gelatine, whisking until it has become incorporated.
- Add the white chocolate to the pan and let it sit for a few minutes to soften the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has softened gently whisk the mix until fully combined then gently fold food colouring through the mix.
To build the Mirror Glazed Chocolate Mousse Brownie:
- Pipe the chocolate mousse into a half sphere mould.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the chocolate brownie to the same diameter as the chocolate mousse mould.
- Place the chocolate brownie on top of the mousse and freeze.
- Once frozen, dip the chocolate brownie mousse into the mirror glaze.
Dan Yardley and his creative team in the kitchen are responsible for serving delicious menus at all weddings, private parties and corporate events at Salomons Estate. To find out more about the types of events catered for at Salomons Estate please visit www.salomons-estate.com or call 01892 515152.